The Police Training Institute is a unique member of the University of Illinois community, combining training and education to provide students with the philosophical base, skills, and decision-making abilities requisite to maintaining an ordered and safe society within the guidelines of the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Illinois. The Police Training Institute will strive constantly to maintain and enhance the quality of its teaching, applied research, and public service. It will fulfill its mission by:
- Enhancing the quality of education and training, applied research, and public service programs through aggressive recruitment and support of the most knowledgeable and experienced instructional staff.
- Maintaining a leadership position in creating new and innovative policing strategies and tactics.
- Continuing to improve our programs through the use of the adult learning model, preparing our students for leadership and citizenship in a changing and increasingly complex profession.
- Integrating the Police Training Institute with the campus community and its many resources in recognition of the benefits of a holistic approach to both the Institute and the campus community. This will enhance services to our client base through education, training, and applied research in partnership with government and community groups.
- Strengthening mutually beneficial relationships while building new ones with communities, governmental entities, alumni, and the private sector.
- Improving the efficiency and effectiveness of management and administrative services that support the missions of the University of Illinois and the Police Training Institute.
The University of Illinois Police Training Institute’s 55-year evolution as a police training institution has produced a set of core values that underlies all aspects of its present and future endeavors. We are a university public service unit that:
- Connects and interacts with the society it serves and the greater University community.
- Delivers state and nationally recognized education and training to members of the criminal justice community.
- Continuously improves the quality of its academic programs, applied research, and community support programs.
- Operates following best-business practices.
Emerging Environmental Challenges
- The University of Illinois Police Training Institute must shape its future, not leave it to chance.
- The University of Illinois Police Training Institute will maintain a prominent leadership role statewide and nationally in the adult learning educational model.
- The events of September 11, 2001, created challenges for the public safety sector. By utilizing the campus community and all its resources, the University of Illinois Police Training Institute shall endeavor to seek new and unique ways to serve the criminal justice community.
- Technology pervades all aspects of the criminal justice system. The University of Illinois Police Training Institute shall continuously seek ways to integrate new and existing technologies in our programming and applied research.
Vision for the Next Decade
The University of Illinois Police Training Institute’s long-range vision is the continual realization of our core values-engagement with our society, outstanding education, continuous improvement of applied research and support programs, and utilization of best-business practices. The Institute will lead nationally in creating, assessing, transferring and integrating adult learning in our teaching, research, outreach, and operations.